How do I switch from a spousal benefit to my own benefit online?

Published: July 20, 2023

Hi there,

Go to and on the main page click on “online services” then select “apply for retirement benefits.”

Since you are currently collecting benefits on your spouse’s record, you should be able to start a new application for retirement benefits under your own Social Security number.

You may also use the SSA online field office locator based on your zip code to find a nearby office and apply in person.

If you need personalized assistance, you can schedule a call with an RSSA here.

Good luck,

Schedule Appointment
Back to All