I am 61 and caring for my disabled adult son. Are my son and I eligible for Social Security benefits?

Published: July 13, 2022

Full question: I work full time and care for my disabled adult son, my ex recently started getting disability. Can I qualify for anything? It gets very exhausting at 61 to do all I am doing.


Yes, maybe.

When you turn 62, you may be eligible for benefits based on your ex-spouse’s earnings if you were married for 10 years or more, are currently single and your own retirement benefit is lower than the spousal benefit.

Your son may be eligible for adult disabled child benefits. There are exceptions and conditions to these rules, such as the earnings test if you are working, collecting benefits and younger than your full retirement age.

By speaking with an RSSA, we can give you more personalized help based on further details about your situation.


Schedule Appointment
Back to All