How will my Social Security benefits affect my disabled son’s SSI?

Published: May 17, 2024

Full question: I have a 25 year old son with Down syndrome. He receives SSI currently. His father/my ex-husband and I just turned 63 this year are eligible to receive Social Security benefits. My ex has maxed out his benefits and if I start drawing SS now I will get $1200 per month. How will this affect our son’s SSI if and when we start collecting SS. Does he get 50% of the higher parent’s SS? When would be the best time to collect SS to maximize my son’s benefit? What happens when one of us dies?

Hi there,

Your son, a disabled adult child (DAC) will be eligible to receive up to 50% of the primary insurance amount of the parent who has filed This is the “full” benefit amount, the amount that one is eligible to collect at your full retirement age (FRA) of 67.

Even if you or your husband file now, at 63, your son is eligible for 50% of the filing parent’s FRA amount. If both you and your ex have filed, it is based on the larger of the two benefits.

The best timing would require further an analysis with the help of an RSSA. Your son will also be eligible for a survivor benefit. DAC benefits cannot be applied for online so we suggest that you contact your local SSA office for a phone or in-person appointment when you are ready to apply.

All the best,

Schedule Appointment
Back to All