My wife recently passed away. Is there anything I need to do with the Social Security Administration?

Published: January 17, 2022


I am very sorry for your loss.

In most cases, a funeral home will report a death to the Social Security Administration. You should provide the funeral home with your husband’s Social Security number.

You cannot report a death or apply for survivor’s benefits online. You should call 1-800-772-1213 to speak with Social Security directly and ask any questions you may have.

In addition to potential survivor benefits, you, as the surviving spouse, will receive a one-time lump-sum death payment of $255.

With sympathy,

Schedule Appointment
Back to All