I have two disabled children. Am I eligible for ex-spousal benefits?

Published: October 7, 2022

Full question: I am 61 and divorced. I’m caring for our 2 disabled sons by myself. My ex-husband has remarried and moved 2,000 miles away. He hasn’t retired yet. I’m not working. Am I qualified to claim any of his Social Security on behalf of my sons?

Hi there,

If you were married for at least 10 years you may be eligible for ex-spousal benefits and your sons may be eligible for Disabled Adult Child benefits.

Some eligibility requirements include how long the marriage lasted, your age, your ex-spouse’s age, how long you have been divorced, your retirement benefit amount, whether or not you are still working.

Without knowing more information we cannot say for certain if you meet the requirements to collect benefits or how much you would collect. If you need help with your Social Security income planning, please schedule a call to learn more about how we can help you optimize your benefits.


Schedule Appointment
Back to All