Can the higher earning spouse collect child in care benefits from the lower earning spouse’s record?

Published: January 10, 2024

Full question: I am 62 and my higher earning spouse is currently 66, but plans to not collect his Social Security until age 70. We have a 30-year-old adult disabled child (from birth) who lives with us. If I collect my OWN reduced benefit now, can my husband collect the Child in Care benefits from my record until he files for his own Social Security? Would I be able to switch to (unreduced) child in care benefits once my husband files for his benefits?


The child-in-care spouse benefit is available to a spouse who is not yet eligible for retirement benefits, age 62, and is caring for a minor or disabled adult child.

The other spouse must be collecting retirement or disability benefits for child-in-care benefits to be payable.

For personalized assistance, schedule a call with an RSSA here.

Take care,

Schedule Appointment
Back to All