My wife filed for spousal benefits, but our address is in Germany. What should I do?

Published: January 20, 2023

Full question: My wife and I filed for her Spousal Benefit from our address in Germany (She is a German citizen). I am back in the USA for a period of time, and want to take her very difficult to replace Birth Certificate in to an SSA office. The initial claim for her benefits was done via the International Division of the SSA. Is it best to wait until I return to Germany (which may be as much as 6 months from now), or will it be OK to take the Birth Certificate to my local SSA office here in the US?


We would suggest that you call or visit your local Social Security office to start with.

Explain your situation and they will guide you from there. Good luck!

Take care,

Schedule Appointment
Back to All