I live in Canada. Can I claim on wife’s Social Security?

Published: July 19, 2021

Full question: I am 72 and never claimed Social Security as I did not pay into it long enough. Can I claim on my wife’s Social Security? She was born December 1958 and I now live in Canada.


Yes, you are eligible to claim a spousal benefit based on your wife’s earnings record, if she is collecting her Social Security retirement benefit.

Since you are older than your full retirement age (FRA) of 66, you are eligible for 50% of her PIA (primary insurance amount, the amount she would collect at her FRA) even if she collects earlier.

The Social Security Administration will still pay benefits to U.S. citizens who reside in Canada.

Warm regards,

Do you have a question about Social Security? Ask Martha your own question here.

Schedule Appointment
Back to All