How do I switch from survivor benefits to my own benefits?

Published: March 14, 2024

Full question: I will be 70 in May and have been collecting my deceased spouse’s benefits. Do I have to apply for my own benefits or is there a way to switch?

Hi there,

If your own retirement benefit at age 70 is a greater amount than the survivor benefit, you could switch to that benefit starting in the month you turn 70.

Since you are already collecting a survivor benefit, it would be best for you to contact your local SSA office to set up an appointment to have this done.

Take care,

Schedule Appointment
Back to All