How do I switch from spousal benefits to my full Social Security benefit?

Published: February 15, 2024

Full question: How do I switch to full benefits? I turned 70 in December. I’m still employed and collecting spousal benefits from my wife who is 76 and retired on June 2023.


Good question!

You should do this as soon as possible since your retirement benefit amount reached its highest value due to delayed retirement credits in December!

Request the change retroactive to the month you turned age 70.

You may still continue to work of course. And if your current or future earnings are higher than any of your current top 35 years of earnings, your benefit may increase even more.

For personalized assistance, schedule a call with an RSSA here.

Take care,

Schedule Appointment
Back to All