My Social Security is not enough to cover my Medicare premiums. Can I pay the balance due monthly or quarterly?

Published: December 2, 2020

Full question: I am a widow and a retired federal employee receiving a civil service pension. And because of this, I was told I could not receive any benefits from my deceased husband. I now receive a small Social Security benefit from various part-time jobs. However, I do not receive the money because I was told it is not enough to cover my Medicare premiums and I would have to pay the difference a year in advance. I would like to know if there is any way the difference could be paid monthly or quarterly. Thank you.


Normally, if you do not receive a Social Security check, you will be billed by Medicare for Medicare Part B premiums once every quarter.

If this is the case, you may contact the SSA at 800-772-1213 or Medicare at 844-719-0369 to sign up for monthly direct payments.

Since you are receiving a small Social Security benefit, but still owe a balance for Medicare, you may also be eligible for monthly direct payments. We recommend that you call the numbers above.

Best of luck,

Do you have a question about Social Security? Ask Martha your own question here.

Schedule Appointment
Back to All