How do I stop paying for Medicare Part D?

Published: March 5, 2024

Full question: My husband is 82.5 years old. He retired a few months before his 65th birthday. Since that time, he has been paying additional money for Medicare Part D. How can we stop these deductions/payments?

Hi there,

Your husband may be paying additional money due to the Medicare Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount (IRMAA). This is an amount you may have to pay, in addition to your base premium, if your income is above a certain level.

The Social Security Administration sets four income brackets that determine the adjustment amount. The amount is based on the modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) reported on your tax return two years prior, meaning two years before the year in which you are paying IRMAA.

Your husband should get in touch with his Medicare agent to verify that this is the cause and to review his Part D enrollment to make sure it is the correct plan for him.

Best of luck,

Schedule Appointment
Back to All