I think I made a mistake by claiming Social Security at age 62. Can I change my mind?

Published: July 6, 2020

Hi there,

Yes, you can change your mind, and this is known as withdrawing your application. You can reapply later.

If you change your mind about starting your benefits, you can cancel your application for up to 12 months after becoming entitled to retirement benefits. If you are already entitled to Medicare, you may choose to also withdraw your Medicare coverage.

Unexpected life changes may occur after you apply for Social Security retirement benefits and this process offers you an opportunity to “start over”. You are limited to only one withdrawal per lifetime.

To withdraw your application, fill out Social Security Form SSA-521. Include the reason why you want to withdraw the application on the form.

If you already have Medicare, your request must also clearly state whether your Medicare coverage should or should not be included in the withdrawal.

There are some things to consider before deciding to withdraw your application. I suggest you read this article of mine for more information.


Do you have a question about Social Security? Ask Martha your own question here.

Schedule Appointment
Back to All