How do I get a refund for a duplicate Medicare payment?

Published: August 9, 2021

Full question: My wife and I paid for Medicare for just over 1 year before we started collecting Social Security. We paid for Medicare in 3 month increments, but our 1st Social Security check deducted a payment for Medicare for a month that we had already paid for. How do we get a refund for the duplicate Medicare payment?

Hi there,

As you discovered, once you begin collecting Social Security, your Medicare premiums are automatically deducted from your payments. If you have been overcharged, you should call your local Social Security office to request a refund for that duplicate payment.

Take care,

Schedule Appointment
Back to All