Social Security for California residents — entitlements include:
- Retirement benefits
- Benefits for disabled workers and their dependents
- Benefits to the families of deceased workers
You may also be entitled to:
- Supplemental Security Income program (SSI) – a needs-based program for people ages 65+ and people with disabilities, regardless of age.
- Assistance if you are a Medicare beneficiary with limited income to apply for extra help with the cost of prescription drugs (Medicare Prescription Drug Program.)
Social Security: It’s tax-free in California
All Social Security income is tax-free in California on your state income tax return.
While the IRS may tax you on up to 85% of your Social Security benefits, if you are a resident of the Golden State, you will pay no state tax on it regardless of income or the size of your Social Security benefit.
What you need to know as a California retiree:
- Withdrawals from retirement accounts are fully taxed.
- Wages are taxed at normal rates.
- Public and private pension incomes are fully taxed.
- Sales taxes are among the highest in the U.S.
Find a Social Security Advisor that has the RSSA credential.
Advisors that are Registered Social Security Analysts can help you gain far more Social Security income by making the optimal claiming decisions. Our clients have realized from $20K to $200K in potential additional benefits. Contact us today for a complimentary 15-minute consultation with one of our RSSA advisors.